Essential Oils: First Aid
- One drop of Lemon oil applied directly to a wart is an effective means of elimination. Apply the oil daily until the wart has gone.
- Add 8 – 10 drops of soothing essential oil such as Lavender or Marjoram into 1 cup of hot or cold water in a small bowl. Dip cloth into the mixture and use as a compress. (Hot compresses are useful for muscular pain and cramps. Cold compresses are useful for headaches or swelling.)
- Ease headache pain by rubbing a drop Lavender essential oil neat onto the back of your neck.
- To treat minor bites, put 1 drop of Lavender or Tea Tree essential oil onto a damp cotton bud and dab the affected area regularly.
- Another way to treat insect bites and stings is to add 1 – 2 drops of Lavender essential oil to a teaspoon baking soda and mix with a little water to make a soft paste. Dab the paste onto the affected area regularly.
- To help soothe sunburn, add 2 drops of Lavender essential oil to a small pot of natural yoghurt. Mix well and apply to skin. Leave for a while before rinsing off.
- Sprinkle a few drops of Lavender essential oil onto a wheat bag after heating, to enhance its soothing quality.
- Put a few drops of Peppermint or Eucalyptus oil onto a tissue or handkerchief to help clear a blocked nose.
- To soothe toothache temporarily, mix 2 drops Clove Bud essential oil with ¼ tsp olive oil. Soak a cotton wool ball with the mixture and place beside the affected tooth.